Friday, May 30, 2014

An open letter to the class of 2014 ap gov students

Thank you!  You were my first AP Government class with the iPads and the first to have the course for 27 weeks.  I came up with a pretty crazy idea the summer before you started the class to flip the class.  It was because of you that this little experiment went so very well!  You started the class with an open mind, you gave me incredibly helpful feedback, and you took ownership of your own learning.  It was because of this effort that I have evolved into the teacher that I am today.

Not only did you DOMINATE the AP exam in May, well above the national average with 25% of you receiving the top score of a 5, but the flipped class helped me build a stronger relationship with all of you than in any other year.  Normally, I would have been the one talking all block rarely listening to your thoughts and opinions.  However, last year, you were the ones talking and I simply got to listen. I loved our 10 minute Q/A at the start of the day where I could talk to everyone.  Your thoughts, insights, and questions deepened my understanding of our political system.  Your humor and wonderful personalities made the 27 weeks fly by!  I will always remember the heated Mock Congress debates, jokes at Saturday review session, and cleaning the courtyard/eating food.

I hope that experiencing a flipped classroom in high school will help you in college, as it seems many are going towards the flipped method.  However, I know you will succeed in all that you end up doing because of your humor, intelligence, curiosity, and hard work!  Thank you for all you have brought to my teaching career.  I can't believe what a different (and better) teacher I am because of your willingness to work through the first year of the flipped class!

Congratulations!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment