Thursday, April 3, 2014

It's about the Journey...

It's been about two years since I started with the flipped classroom and the more I pull my hair out because it is not perfect yet, the more I realize it has been about the journey. 

  • A from Sage on the Stage to facilitator of knowledge
  •  A journey from learning from only those within my department to learning from people all across the world at any hour on any topic (Thanks Twitter!)
  • A journey that includes weekly conversations with educational professionals across the world simply trying to improve student learning (looking at you #flipclass #miched)
  • A journey from "sit and get" PD to an edcamp style PD of "choose your own learning adventure"
  • A journey from thinking my videos would be the most important part of my Flipped Classroom, to realizing it's all about the relationships and student centered learning.
  • A journey to realize it is ok for me as the teacher to say "I don't know, let's learn together."
  • A journey to being really sad at the end of an AP government course because I feel like I am losing my "team of learners."
  • A journey of being ok with failure from myself, my students, and our administration because failure is not an end, but a means to improvement.

Education is not a profession to get into if you must be perfect.  I always assumed that if I worked as hard as possible, I could achieve that perfection, when really, it's about the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment