Thursday, December 5, 2013

Strips of paper entertained and educated my students for 50 minutes

I have to admit that I pride myself on being a technologically advanced teacher.  I try to incorporate technology into just about everything that I do.  The AP Government test is essentially a vocabulary test, so I have students create quizlet sets, we look at online current events to find vocabulary words, but I still find that students struggle with vocabulary comprehension.  I thought for a long time about how we could use our 1:1 Ipad technology to help with this comprehension, but couldn't come up with anything great.  So, I went old school!

I typed out a list of all of the important vocabulary words we have covered to date, cut them into strips and put them into envelopes for each table group.  Then, we played several games with these vocabulary words. My room was more alive and energetic than ever before.  Students were telling me this was one of the best activities we had done in class and it literally involved no technology at all!  Here are a few of the games variations that I used, feel free to add more!

1. One students from the group tries to describe the word and the others try to guess.  Groups compete to see how many words they can get through.
2. Two students have to describe the word to the others in their group but each student can only say one word at a time.
3. Students have to draw a  visual representation of the word for others to guess
4. students have to act out the representation of the word for others (this was not super successful, but it was fun!)

No comments:

Post a Comment