Sunday, January 20, 2013

MIFLIP Conference (1st annual!)

MIFLIP Conference

I spent much of the  first semester feeling like I was on an island as a flipped instructor.  Communicating with my flipclass tweeps (twitter PLN) was the only outlet I had to communicate with others who were flipping.

THAT ALL CHANGED THIS WEEKEND!!!!

I attended a FREE (YUP...FREE!) flipped class conference held in Byron Center.  I found out about this conference on Twitter (of course!)  I was literally giddy last week in the days leading up to the conference to finally meet all of my #flipclass PLN.  

The Conference did not disappoint!   Not only were there great pre-planned sessions, but also several in the EDCAMP style (post what you want to learn/facilitate about) and talk to other educators about that topic!  The topics are determined the day of the conference!

Things I learned at the conference 
  •  There are so many passionate flipped educators in Michigan (and I am following them all on twitter now!)
  • Before implementing a flipped class, you need to teach students how to watch the video.  This might take a week or two in the class.   Teach when to pause, what to summarize, and how to ask critical questions
  • 20% assignments-students choose a topic that falls under a power standard and determine how to best show they know that standard.  
  • Google forms is a quick and easy way to track student viewing progress each night.
  • If you create an ibook (need a mac with ibooks author), students can see the book and videos without wifi!
  • There is no excuse to not flip.  Clintondale High School flipped their entire school with no budget, no new computers, no wifi, and over 50% of students with free and reduced lunch.  Their math test scores went up 8% in a year!
  • Symbaloo is a GREAT place to store bookmarks for students.
  • Collaboration with other passionate educators is just what teachers need half way through the year!
  • There is no one right way to flip.  It is all about flipping from teacher centered to student centered"The one doing the reading, writing, and talking is the one learning"
  • Educators from my high school (Charlotte) are getting excited about the flip.  There were at least 6 of us there and I know they are excited to try the flip! 
 This week marks the end of our first semester.  I plan to survey my students about their likes/dislikes in the flipped classroom and let you know next week!  Stay tuned!        

No comments:

Post a Comment